There is one topping that is an absolute must-have for ramen — Ajitama. This marinated soft-boiled egg is savory, scrumptious, and pairs perfectly with the rich ramen broth. Ajitama can be made at home with just a few simple ingredients! In this post, we’ll walk you through how to make perfect Ajitama for your ramen!
- 6 eggs
- 100ml soy sauce
- 100ml mirin
- Two tablespoons cooking sake
- Two tablespoons sugar
- Two tablespoons vinegar (Preferably Japanese brand)
1. Boil the egg. Heat a pot of water to a rolling boil, and gently drop in the eggs. Boil for 7 minutes.
2. While the eggs are cooking, mix in the soy sauce, mirin, cooking sake, sugar, and vinegar in a heat-resistant bowl or container. Place in microwave for about 15 seconds for the sugar to melt.
3. Prepare a bowl of cold water and ice cubes. Once the eggs are cooked, place each one carefully inside the cold water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Peel the eggshells off.
4. Place peeled eggs inside a plastic zip-loc bag. Then, pour the sauce mixture made in step 2 over the eggs. Seal with either a kitchen clip or rubber band. Place the bag inside a container to prevent leakage.
5. Leave in fridge for 24 hours.
6. Take it out, cut and enjoy!
With just several steps, you have your very own Ajitama! We hope this guide will help you creating your perfect Ajitama!